Hydrogenated fats, artificial ingredients, toxic chemicals—a lot of what passes for food these days should never pass your lips. Take a look at the following list, and start paying attention to what you put in your mouth. Some are no-brainers, and others may surprise you. But that’s only because the food industry has been so successful at turning harmful food myths into generally accepted truths.
- Tap water. Your tap water has been “purified” with toxic chemicals like fluoride and chlorine. These halogen chemicals poison your thyroid (along with other tissues and glands) and block your body from using iodine, which is necessary for good thyroid, breast, and ovary health.
- Pasta and commercial cereals. Kellogg’s, Post, and General Mills make nothing but refined, processed carbohydrates that mess with your glucose levels and are void of nutrients. Also keep in mind that the majority of packaged pastas and cereals are made from GMO grains.
- Soda pop. Made with high-fructose corn syrup that impairs your immune system, soda has zero redeeming value, and it’s a major player in developing diabetes and obesity.
- Pasteurized milk. Instead of a living food, raw milk that’s been pasteurized is a dead, lifeless liquid. The proteins are damaged by high temperatures applied for long time periods, and all enzyme activity is destroyed. Overcooking any food destroys nutrients. Francis Pottenger, MD, observed a diet of cooked foods contributes to arthritis, heart disease, and cancer. Drinking pasteurized milk also contributes to arthritis and sinus congestion.
- Soy. This phytoestrogen GMO product will wreak havoc on your thyroid, increase your risk of breast cancer, and impair immune function. Only fermented soy, in small amounts, has shown health benefits.
- Trans fats. These fake, man-made hydrogenated fats will clog your arteries. Trans fats are found in margarine and corn, canola, and soybean oil, which are all rancid and cause inflammation in the body. Dr. Royal Lee believed that rancid oils contribute to cancer.
- Fake cheese foods. Velveeta, American cheese, and similar products are made from hydrogenated oils and other artificial ingredients. They offer zero nutrition and will cause inflammation in your body.
Simple rule: Avoid counterfeit food; eat real food.