Frequently Asked Questions
How do I read the mercury thermometer?
Quick Tips for Reading a Mercury Thermometer
- Hold thermometer between your finger and thumb near the glass top (called the expansion chamber), opposite the spherical base where the silver tip is located.
- Shake it down. With a flick of your wrist, shake thermometer in a downward motion, toward the spherical base, so the mercury can settle before measurement begins. This is especially important prior to first use.
- Place thermometer in the designated area. Keep in mind that it may take 2-4 minutes to read the proper temperature when using a mercury thermometer. *Note: Although thermometer arrives sterilized, be sure to clean before each use.
- Remove thermometer and look for the temperature (°C or °F) in the scale lines etched along the capillary tube.
- How to locate the mercury: Look for the bubble above the silver tip. As you rotate the thermometer, the thin line that travels from the spherical base through the capillary tube gradually becomes visible. Rotate until you can see the mercury line.
If you need any more help, we’re happy to walk you through the process on the phone at 1-866-407-9323. Our office hours are Monday to Friday from 8 AM to 4 PM (MST). If you reach us outside of office hours, please leave a message and we will get back to you at the first available opportunity.
Where do your mercury thermometers come from?
They are manufactured and imported from India. This is due to FDA regulations and restrictions on the production of mercury thermometers in the US.
Why does shipping cost so much?
Our shipping cost is pretty simple math: the USPS base shipping for a 1lb item starts at $6.92 depending on location. A small amount is added for the packaging cost and labor to pack your products. We also include a minimum amount of insurance and tracking to ensure your products arrive at your door safely.
Where can I find my e-learning courses?
From the My Account or Help menus, or you can click here.
How do I watch my e-learning courses?
For e-learning help, start here.
Where can I find my pre-orders, orders, and downloads?
What are the Historical Archives and how do I use them?
A remarkable collection of research and commentary from the earliest days of nutrition science. You’ll find over 400 thought-provoking articles and important out-of-print books here, each accompanied by a summary and available as a free PDF download.
You can search the articles by keyword at the top-right of the the Historical Archives homepage, or browse the Archives by subject using our book browser on this page.
Where do I find event info?
On our Events Calendar, you’ll find seminars, conferences, and more!
How do I unzip my downloads?
For download help, start here.
How do I create an account?