What I love about being a chiropractor is witnessing the rewarding results my clients get when they make positive changes in their lives. Being a chiropractor also allows me the freedom to use nutritional supplements, herbs, and homeopathic remedies to assist the body in restoring the balance needed to maintain health.
Here is the story of Jacob, as told by his mother. They’ve been patients of mine for several years now, and Jacob’s mother was happy and willing to share Jacob’s experience to inspire others who are seeking answers.
My son has been struggling with school since he started kindergarten. He is now in third grade, and I knew we had to do something about getting him help. We had a terrible conference with his teacher in October 2015. The teacher implied that I should have Jacob evaluated by the pediatrician. In a roundabout way, she was telling me she thought he had ADD. The assistant principal told me he had observed my son in class and said, “Your son has an attention span of a gnat.” I informed him right then that I would not be medicating my child based on their observations. I also informed him that Jacob has an extremely long attention span at home when it is something he enjoys or wants to do. However, I knew he had trouble with impulsive behavior at times. My instinct told me he was just struggling so much that he was trying to avoid the work, and maybe he needed some support from whole food supplements.
The first thing I did was take my son to see Dr. Keppel. He did his muscle testing and found Jacob to be lacking in B vitamins. He then asked me if Jacob was small for his age compared to his peers. My son has always been small compared to his classmates. Dr. Keppel said his pituitary gland was not functioning well and recommended Pituitrophin PMG, Catalyn, Cataplex B, and Bacopa Complex. We started them right away and also started tutoring outside of the school system.
As we approach the end of the year, eight weeks later my son has improved tenfold. He has jumped four reading levels, and he can focus and control his body and behavior better. He is far from perfect, but he has improved and has told me he can tell the days that he forgets his supplements because he doesn’t do as well in school. His teacher is noticing a difference in him as well.
I know the Pituitrophin PMG is working wonders as Jacob has grown 3/4″ in the last eight weeks! I can’t thank Dr. Keppel enough for helping me with my son so he can succeed in school and be a normal 9-year-old little boy WITHOUT medication!
Along with the supplements, Jacob had to change his diet. The foods we consume daily have a great impact on our health, particularly on a growing child, which in turn impacts behavior. Healthy, organic sources of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates, along with fresh vegetables, should replace all refined, chemically processed foods and drinks.
Selene River Press is a great resource on nutritional health information. I highly recommend the following titles:
- The Nourishing Traditions Book of Baby and Child Care by Sally Fallon Morell and Thomas S. Cowan. Valuable holistic advice for pregnant mothers and those caring for newborns or children.
- The Nourishing Traditions Cookbook for Children: Teaching Children to Cook the Nourishing Traditions Way by Suzanne Gross and Sally Fallon Morell. A great beginning cookbook that explains the fundamentals of good health.
- Super Nutrition for Babies: The Right Way to Feed Your Baby for Optimal Health by Katherine Erlich and Kelly Genzlinger. An invaluable guide to nutrition for every stage of a child’s growth.
- Sugar Blues by William Dufty. A must-read book that will help you understand the effects of sugar on the body.
- Nourishing Healthy Babies: First Real Foods. This beautiful, informative chart was designed by holistic Certified Nutritional Consultant Monica Corrado to help parents get their babies started on a lifelong path of health and well-being.
Photo from iStock/fabthi