You’ve made your list, checked it way more times than twice, and crossed each person off as his or her gift was purchased. Now, here it is, two days before Christmas morning and you’re done. You’re done! You’re high-fiving yourself left and right, but wait…
- You just got an invite to a small gathering from a new friend. The fine print says there will be a gift exchange but don’t spend more than $10.
- You forgot to get a little something for your awesome mail carrier, who waves to you whenever you see him in the neighborhood. Even though you’re his last stop, he always has a smile for your kids when they run to grab the mail, no matter how late in the day he arrives.
- An unexpected gift arrives from someone you haven’t heard from in a while. You’re thrilled to reciprocate and want to give something they’ll be excited to receive.
Whether it’s one of these scenarios or something entirely different, there always seems to be some last minute gift that needs to be purchased. You can do much better than throwing a bow on the spare candle you have in the closet. Trust me, you can. Unless, of course, the person you need a gift for has a candle lit every waking moment of their day. Right? Right.
It’s never too late for the perfect (not to mention thoughtful) gift. Here are a few I tend to fall back on:
- A donation to the person’s favorite cause. Know someone who loves animals? Has every pet they’ve ever owned been adopted from the humane society? This person will be delighted to receive a card that includes a receipt stating you made a monetary donation in their name at their local chapter. If animals aren’t their thing, just think of a topic they’re passionate about and look for a cause that spends your donation wisely.
- A healthy houseplant. Help someone clean the air in their space with a lovely houseplant. Make sure it’s one that is easy to care for, just in case neither of their thumbs are very “green.”
- A gift certificate from the local chamber of commerce. Even if you aren’t from the same area as the recipient, you can look up their chamber’s website and have a gift certificate with a personal message sent directly to their house. Plus, they’ll be supporting local businesses when they decide where to spend it. Win-win.
- A new water bottle. Even if they already have a good, reusable water bottle, having a spare is handy as all get-out.
- A healthful resource. Does your giftee love traditional cooking and want to learn more about nutrition? Let them pick out the perfect book or DVD with a gift certificate to Selene River Press, or even gift a membership to the Weston A. Price Foundation.
So, see… there’s no reason to worry about the inevitable last minute gifts that come up. You’ve got this.
What is your favorite, never-fail last minute gift?
Photo Credit: FreeImages.com/Jason M