But besides real diseases, we are subject to many that are only imaginary, for which the physicians have invented imaginary cures; these have several names, and so have the drugs that are proper for them.
—Jonathan Swift (1667-1745)
An imaginary cure for an imaginary disease. Could these words describe our modern obsession with lowering our cholesterol, no matter the cost to our overall health? In this long-awaited, newly revised and expanded edition of Cholesterol: Facts & Fantasies, Judith DeCava argues just that.
The noted clinical nutritionist, health researcher, and writer has been in the vanguard of thinkers on this topic, and her work to expose the prevalent myths behind our modern understanding of cholesterol helped change the conversation from blind belief to healthy skepticism. Now that the evidence is out, more and more doctors and researchers are coming to the conclusion that the danger of high cholesterol is exactly what DeCava has argued all along: a myth.
Bolstered by the latest research, this much-anticipated revised edition of the second book in DeCava’s Health Science Series (after Vaccination: Examining the Record), is just as revolutionary today as ever. As long as drug companies continue to peddle the myth that high cholesterol is bad for our health—and peddle the drugs to lower it—this slim volume will continue to be essential reading.
Turn everything you thought you knew about cholesterol on its head. Let DeCava teach you how to separate the cholesterol facts from the cholesterol fantasies:
- Cholesterol is essential to the proper functioning of every cell in the body.
- Cholesterol is our raw material for healing, brain function, recall, athletic performance, mineral balance, libido, muscle mass, our immune system, fetal development, and so many other things.
- Cholesterol deficiency can result in fatigue, obesity, emotional disturbance, digestive distress, impotence, menstrual symptoms, fluid imbalance, and nutritional deficit.
- High cholesterol in and of itself is not an accurate predictor of heart disease.
- The cholesterol myth has made pharmaceutical companies rich, but bestselling statins have not turned out to be a panacea for heart disease.
- Lowering our cholesterol is always beneficial.
- Cholesterol is the primary cause of heart disease.
- Dietary cholesterol is downright dangerous. A traditional breakfast of bacon and eggs is a “heart attack on a plate.”
- Statins are a silver bullet.
- The problem of heart disease can be eradicated with nothing more than a prescription pad.
Find out what the research really says about this essential substance, and then judge for yourself whether cholesterol deserves its reputation as a heart killer. Get this revised, expanded reprint of Judith DeCava’s true health classic today.
There are no reviews yet.